Question: Would this page ever have existed if you had never looked at it?

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Apple Pie a la Mode

So as I sit here waiting for the championship of the world cup to commence, I feel relaxed after a wonderful weekend so far. Jennifer invited me to Gettysburg to look for apartments with her father, and we were able to set aside some time to watch a few movies. I'll tell you what, there is nothing better than apple pie a la mode with a cup of coffee in a dinner in the middle of Gettysburg. Well nothing more American that is. The only thing that ruined it a bit was that there was a huge biker rally that day. Nothing against bikers honestly. It's just very noisy. Some very cool bikes though.

Anyways. We got to rent a few movies. The Book of Eli, The Wolfman, and Unleashed.

The Book of Eli was surprisingly good. Going into it i had only seen a few trailers and they didn't really explain anything about the movie besides the fact that Denzel Washington has a book and Gary Oldman wants it. Most of the first 20-30 minutes of the movie is very sparse with dialog, yet you got to know Washington's character, Eli, very well. The movie did a wonderful job taking very little and turning it into so much. Shrouded in semi-mystery, most of the movie I had no idea what was going on. Everything comes together in the last 10-20 minutes turning all the building confusion into pure awe. I won't say to much more in fear of spoiling the movie for anyone who reads this (which probably may only be myself) who hasn't seen it.

The Wolfman was .... really bad as far as a dramatic movies go. But that was the thing. It attempted to be both a dramatic movie but also an action/slasher movie. The two, with very few exceptions, are mutually exclusive genres in my mind. So, even as an action/slasher movie it really didn't do it for me. The story was so basic, the acting was barely passable and in conjunction with the unmotivated violence, the movie was nothing more but a good conversation piece. Hugo Weaving and Anthony Hopkins really made the movie watchable. Oh and why silver. I've never understood that. I just would love to hear why silver bullets kill warewolves in, in albeit fake, scientific terms. But that's just a personal concern.

Unleashed was actually very good. It was able to turn a martial arts action movie into a semi-dramatic movie. This is one of those exceptions I mentioned in my last paragraph. Jet Li mad the movie come to life with decent acting and terrific martial arts. Jet Li is just an amazing person.

Sigh.

This world cup game is not really going anywhere. I suppose I'm rooting for Spain but neither team is much of a draw for me.

All in all... it was a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment